If the lifestyle choices of the overweight and obese teens in our country aren’t overturned by healthy, more active choices, then this generation, and the ones that follow, will be in some serious health trouble.
Weight loss camps for teens are a great way to immerse an overweight teen into a healthy lifestyle and have this lifestyle reinforced by their friends and camp leaders. Many teens have had great results from attending weight loss camps and the results have lasted long term.
At weight loss camps, teens are kept active doing fun activities, such as swimming, soccer, zip-lining, hiking, and much more! These activities keep the teens moving and allow them to find a true active hobby that they will continue even after camp ends.
Weight loss camps are also fully stocked with nutritional experts. The meals that are served are healthy, portion controlled, and kid-friendly. The camps strive to serve food that the teens will continue to eat easily after camp ends.
Other than teaching healthy weight loss and nutrition, these camps teach self esteem, which is equally important when dealing with obesity issues. Having a good self-esteem will give the teens the confidence they need to succeed in their weight-loss, make new friends at camp and outside of camp, and continue to succeed in everything that they do.
Choosing a camp is very important. There are lots of weight loss camps out there, and more and more are popping up as the demand increases. There are a few questions that you should ask before choosing a weight loss camp for your teen:
1. Check the food service and portions that are served,
2. Identify how many qualified nutritionists are on hand,
3. Are the camp counselors accredited and background checked,
4. Visit the camp beforehand to get a first-person perspective,
5. Talk to a couple parents and teens who have previously attended the camp about their experience,
6. Involve your teen in this decision making process; if the teen is not comfortable with the camp, they will not obtain the desired results.
Sources: Disney Family